Sunday, November 16, 2008

My neighbor's farm

As many of you know, we have a peacock who comes over to visit us regularly. I sometimes worry that he comes over because he isn't being fed enough over there. Of course, he could just be greedy, I guess. He looks healthy to me (like I'm a peacock expert), but when I fed him today (birdseed) he ate every single seed out there. I also feel bad for him being out in the cold (we have snow flurries this morning). The farmer is quite elderly, but I think he has children that live nearby and help out sometimes. There are quite a few sheep out in the pasture, but there used to be some donkeys, too- they looked a bit neglected (hooves overgrown) and I heard that's why they were sold. There is another peacock over there who doesn't come over here, so he must be eating something. There used to be a few peahens, but I haven't seen any of them in a while. I don't know if they were sold or got eaten by the fox I sometimes see out in the pasture. We really enjoy having that farm next to us- our back yard feels huge, because the pasture is just on the other side of our fence. It's fun to watch the sheep out there and have the peafowl visit. I know it won't be there forever- I just hope it doesn't become houses eventually. Considering how limited our housing market is here in Small College Town, I can't see much of a market for MORE houses, but you never know.

2 comments:

~profgrrrrl~ said...

I don't know much about peacocks, but I know a lot about parrots. If they find what you're feeding preferable to their regular food (and seed usually is considered preferable to a pellet), they'll gobble it right up.

Addy N. said...

Thanks, profgrrrl. This is nothing new- they've been coming over here for years for snacks, so maybe you're right that they just like the black oil sunflower seed better!