Thursday, May 10, 2007

Job Watch (aka Job Torture)

I'm driving myself crazy. I haven't hear anything from Mountain U, so I am (of course) assuming the worst. They didn't give me any specific time table, other than when the search committee was meeting (last week) and that they wanted to speed things along, because it's so late in the semester. I figured that I would have heard by now, but I have no idea how their bureaucracy (time required in the dean's office for approval of hires) operates there. So, I know nothing, but I am assuming it's over (because this is how I operate).

Sigh.

I am also having quite a low-key conference trip. Since I am by myself and none of my friends from this subdiscipline are here this year (damn, them!), I have been eating more room service than I would prefer. I have also met some people (which is nice) and gone to the social gatherings alone (but run into some new acquaintances). I will probably do another post on the conference for the scientiae carnival, since this a technology-oriented conference and probably has a 10:1 ratio of men to women (if I was a single grad student, I would be set!) This is typical for this subdiscipline, but still odd to see so few women here. I'm off to the afternoon sessions in a few minutes. I skipped this morning and took a long-ish walk instead (almost 3 miles). It was good to get some exercise, but I think I will be sleepy for the afternoon talks, now.

1 comment:

Seeking Solace said...

I know what you mean about the wait phase. It would be nice if potential employres gave some kind of timetable!

Keeping my fingers crossed! :)