Thursday, February 25, 2010

More fun...

D is studying the civil war in school and asked about my dad (who disowned me for marrying H). She said she was hurt that he would never want to meet her since she is biracial/black. I've been trying to explain to her that SHE can't feel bad about people who are racist because it's THEIR problem. It's so lovely that I even have to have to conservation with my child. "Yes, you have a grandfather, but no you will never meet him*." Real nice. At least she has a wonderful grandpa in my stepdad...



*I have no interest in reconciling with him (not that he has made any indication that he wants to). What kind of person "disowns" their own child for ANY reason. Ugh.

3 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

It's just wrong on so many levels. And, it's his loss for not getting to know your wonderful family.

Anonymous said...

It'll be a good lesson for her to let it be someone else's problem and not invest in it.

My kids don't understand yet that my mom has disowned me. They ask when we're seeing them next and I just say, I'm not sure.

Addy N. said...

Thanks. Anastasia- I forgot about that happening to you. Such a bummer. :(