Saturday, September 12, 2009

Quick Update

I started a rant post yesterday about some really stupid things work, but was too annoyed to finished writing it. I don't know if I will, either. It boils down to me getting tired of being "the nice guy" and feeling like I am taken advantage of (teaching more days than anyone else*, not being accommodated for childcare issues**) I'm just glad it's the weekend now.

I have survived a whole week of D on crutches. It turns out her knee injury is a sprain (I think her LCL) and she starts physical therapy on Monday. The orthopedist was a little surprised that she can't put any weight on it, so I'm guessing he'll order some other diagnostic if she still can't walk by our appointment next week.

Did I mention that I am teaching EVERY day of the week? Taking D to all of these appointments, picking her up from school, taking her to school, leaves me little time to get anything done. I have a ton of teaching prep to get done this weekend- and some research stuff I need to get to, also. At least it's Saturday. Ugh.

*Only one other faculty member ever teaches 5 days a week like I am right now.
**Our weekly visiting speakers are scheduled too late in the day for me to attend, since I have to get home before D does- or pick her up from school while she is on crutches.

3 comments:

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Ugh, it sounds like a rough semester. Hopefully it will at least feel easier as it becomes routine (and will next term be a lighter one?)

Seeking Solace said...

I had a semester where I taught five days and I thought I was going to die. I was so exhausted.

Did D have an MRI for her knee?

I hope things settle down soon!

Addy N. said...

profgrrl: Yes- I teach two classes in spring, but will be back to this craptastic schedule next fall.
Seeking Solace: D has not had an MRI, but I suspect he might do one if she isn't improving by our next appt.