Monday, June 29, 2009

Relay for Life

I participated in my first Relay for Life over the weekend and overall think it was a great experience. The weather was only real downer to the event- it was in the low 90s, sunny, and HUMID. I managed to walk about five miles over the day and night. I'm sure I would have walked more if the weather had been nicer. D walked over six miles! I was so proud of her. We planned for her to camp out at our site with some other kids, but I ended up taking her home at 12:30, because she couldn't sleep- I didn't realize the music would be going ALL NIGHT!

I cried several times during the Relay: the survivor lap, when they read the names on the luminaria (I had bought one for my grandpa who died in 1991 from brain cancer), and I think again at the closing ceremony. The Small College Town event raised a lot of money this year, and I was happy to be part of it. A friend started our team because of another friend who was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer and I agreed to participate because of ALL the people in my life who have had cancer. It was really inspiring to see all of the cancer survivors there in their purple t-shirts and hope that our friend will be one of them next year.

No comments: