Tuesday, November 20, 2007

How I am not completely sucking, even though my status bar hasn't moved yet.

I had such good intentions for today. I was going write and finish that paper. Instead, I realized that I need to gather up some new references to add to my lit review section. I also decided that I might submit to a different journal. I went to said journal to find recent articles relevant to my paper and found one VERY relevant paper, and emailed the author (since my U has no form of the journal). This was all very exciting, because I didn't think anyone else was doing related work on this subject in this place. The author replied very promptly with a pdf and I got a reply from the the other author who was interested my in press/forthcoming paper, too. Very cool. 

I cleaned off my desk and organized the files for the paper, took a shower, played a little Scrabulous, took some notes about the articles that I need to find and ate lunch. I decided to go to school after lunch, since it was going to be completely dead around there. I stopped at Starbuck's on the way there, went in to the office, did a bunch of file organization on my office computer, etc. Got a second request for an article review in two days (and I haven't reviewed anything in a while) and came home in time for D to arrive from school.

So the day was not wasted, but I did not technically write anything. The main portion of the paper is there already- I just have some holes to fill in- and these require some more literature. I also need to get my tables and figures sorted out. I still want to finish this thing before 2007 is over, but I don't think I'll be able to meet that 2500 word goal. What can I say? I'm lazy, I suck, BUT I am 99% sure that I am getting tenure! I'll try not to beat myself up too much, but this paper really does need to be written, dammit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

see, you were productive! me, i have written zero.