Saturday, June 09, 2007

What a difference a day makes...*

Wow. I. Am. Tired. Yesterday started out perfectly nice (sort of). I got up early to take a walk because I knew it would be hot (and our treadmill is out of commission until we get a new belt), so I did a fast walk to park and back between 6:00 and 7:00am. I did some work in the morning, a few other things around the house, then took MM to Costco in the afternoon. On the drive home, the migraine set in. I took my meds when I got home, but it was too late. I spent the next few hours in bad shape (read my other blog if you want any more details), finally slept at 8-something and with minor interruptions, slept until 5:00am. I have been lounging around the house today and feeling soooo tired. I have taken several short naps, even! I hope I never have a migraine like that again. I kept wondering if that is what is feels like to have malaria- I sure hope not.

On the research front, I didn't write a thing on Thursday or Friday. Instead, I spent time finishing up some analysis (which I need for the results!) and met with a grad student Thursday afternoon. I should able to get back to writing on Monday- oh yeah- I also got some page proofs yesterday morning, so that gave me something else to work on yesterday.

The weather has dramatically improved (although we are still not getting any rain and our grass is turning brown). Yesterday was so muggy and gross and today is nice- it was in the 50s this morning! That's all for now- just checking in. I really feel like I was not here last night and that I have returned to the world of the living!

*Anyone else remember those mens clothings store ads with the really good looking fireman and construction worker, where they would show them in their work clothes all sweaty and dirty, then show them in their suits "the next day" with that song playing?? "Twenty-four little hours..."

3 comments:

New Kid on the Hallway said...

You know, I've read that vigorous exercise, especially if you get hot and don't cool down enough at the end of exercise (that is, exercise all out and then stop), will trigger headaches. I know that if I don't warm up and cool down properly I get terrible headaches - not migraines (I just get the ordinary kind), but I wonder if the trigger might be similar?

Addy N. said...

Hi New Kid: I really think it was a combination of things- probably including the exercising in the hot outside air. I've been walking on the treadmill for months, but since it's not working, took another approach! I'm hesitant to do again soon!

Anonymous said...

ooh, sorry about the migraines. i get them too. my triggers are food, smells and heat and i get the worse in the intense heat of summer.

hope work etc has been going better since the migraine...