Thursday, March 08, 2007

Job Decision 2007... the saga continues

I am still deciding on the job offer. One fear I have is that I will turn it down and then NOT get tenure here. Some new developments in my decision-making process:
  • I met with my chair to discuss my prospects for tenure
  • I made an appointment with my dean to discuss my prospects for tenure
  • I heard back from job interview #1 (the dream job)- they haven't made a decision yet! I won't hear for at least a few more weeks! While, this doesn't exactly make me feel that I made as much of an impact as I'd hoped, I was told that I am still being considered.
Basically, I'm not ruling anything out at this point. I have to decide on the offer from interview #2 by early next week, so I'll have to see what the dean says about tenure issues. My chair was not exactly encouraging (even though I've met all requirements) and didn't even try to tell me why I should stay- maybe that's a sign in itself. In the mean time, I am supposed to be preparing for some conferences. I have the next week and a half to ignore teaching and just do research (we have spring break next week), but I am TERRIBLY distracted, as you can imagine! Arrrghhh!

I'm taking wagers on how much research I accomplish today.

4 comments:

Ianqui said...

If you don't mind my asking, what's your tenure status at the new job?

Seeking Solace said...

I don't think you should take the job because of the fear of not finding another one or the possibility that you will not get tenure. I think you are doing the right thing by finding out where you stand with your current school. I just think a snap decision could be a regrettable one.

Addy N. said...

Thanks for the comments!
Ianqui: ha- that's a good question. It would be easier to get tenure at the new place than my current job- lower research requirements & heavier teaching load. The downside is that they don't give credit toward tenure from elsewhere, so I'd be starting over. However- I think it would be less stressful than being an assistant prof here.

Seeking Solace: You are the voice of reason! Even if the dean is not too encouraging, I would have two more years to look for jobs if I don't get tenure. I just don't want to be in a position of having to get something. I think you are right, though!

JustMe said...

good luck...
and yah i agree with ss.