Saturday, December 23, 2006

Some Art Saturday

Ellis Island Madonna
by Lewis Hine c. 1905
(from the Rollins College Digital Collections)

When I was college, I took a History of Photography course to fill my art history requirement and loved it. I still have my textbook and will probably use lots of photos from there for "Some Art Saturdays". This is one that I always remembered and liked a lot. The woman in the photo also reminds me of my best friend from high school's mother, who is from Italy. Old photographs are amazing to me since they make distant times and places seem more real. Lewis Hine had a lot of interesting photos of life in the U.S. in the early 1900s, including construction of famous buildings and children working in factories.

tags:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL photograph!