Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Exhaustion

I had really forgotten what sleep-deprivation feels like and really don't enjoy reliving the days of frequently interrupted sleep.* D wakes up every morning when the ibuprofen from the night before has worn off- today it was 5:30 (and I had stayed up past midnight). She seems fine when she is on it, but as soon as it wears off- watch out! We followed up with an orthopedist last Wednesday, who decided that D does not have a chip fracture. He had concerns about her elbow, but didn't give a specific name to her injury. He did want her elbow to be kept immobilized for at least two weeks. They didn't do a full cast, because we have to change her bandages every couple of days. Instead, she has a hard splint with a sling. The last couple of days her pain seems worse, so I called the doctor and am waiting to hear back. I also don't like giving all that ibuprofen every day. The ER doc gave us tylenol with codeine, but it didn't seem to help much, so we've stuck with ibuprofen for now.

H left for Very Distant Country yesterday. I cried at the airport- I couldn't help it. He's been gone for 24 hours and should have arrived about an hour ago- I'm waiting for a call from my mother-in-law to hear that they are all together. 

I went into campus this morning for a meeting, then came home at lunch time and planned to do some things here afterward. Well, I've been far too sleepy to accomplish anything. I tried napping, but my sister-in-law called to see if I had heard from H. It will be time to go pick up D in a little while- I am not letting her ride the bus for the rest of the year, because it's too hard for her to carry her backpack. She will also be missing some walking field trips this week and next. I had signed her up for some week-long summer science camp things, but will likely end up taking her out, since it's hard for her to do anything without her left arm (she's left-handed). I am going to wait until our next doctor visit to decide for sure.

So, I am exhausted today, missing my husband, and worrying about my daughter's arm. At least it's summer. Yippee.

*I know I won't get any sympathy from all the moms of little ones out there!

2 comments:

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Well, I'm certainly going to give you tons of sympathy! Not getting enough sleep SUCKS. Sleep deprivation due to the semester is bad enough, but I can't imagine how it would be with a kid. Hope she's feeling better soon!

Psych Post Doc said...

I hope she's feeling better soon and that you can both catch up on some much needed sleep.