Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Pregnancy Post (update)

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful comments on yesterday's post. Things seem to have settled down today, but I am in this constant state of paranoia- if I feel any odd twinge in my abdomen I fear there's a problem. Since I don't know if yesterday's scare is related to anything I did (in terms of straining or tearing something) I am being overly cautious about lifting and carrying things. My backpack is a real problem- I took out a bunch of papers that I didn't really need to be carrying around and I'm trying to only lift it from a chair or my car's backseat (rather than the floor). It's still a bit heavy (with my Mac Book Pro in it), but I am trying to be careful about how I lift it. I was able to come home early today and I've done absolutely nothing since I got here almost four hours ago (other than eating frozen pizza with H, watching last night's Dancing with the Stars, and taking a one-hour nap). I'm still not sure what we'll do about the conference- the doctor said it was fine, so I think we'll still go if things remain calm. It should be a relaxing trip anyway- staying at a Hilton, not having to get up for my 8AM class, and we're driving, too. OK- back to my non-working!!

On another non-related note: in return for some mentoring I'm doing this year, they are paying us with gift cards to the U bookstore instead of salary or cash. I got $250 already and will get another $250 at semester's end. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the money, but today I realized they sell Mac accessories! And this morning I realized that I have been winding up my power cord in a very un-smart way and the metal is starting to show where the cord meets the AC/DC adapter (I just this morning noticed that those little things flip out to wind up the cord onto- duh!) I went over the the bookstore and bought a new one with my "free" money. Yay!

5 comments:

hornsofglass said...

As for your power cord, call Apple and tell them about the problem (1-800-275-2273) that is a fire hazard, and they should send you another (I had one replaced recently for similar problem).

It's always good to have an extra!

Seeking Solace said...

So glad you are doing better.

Have you thought of getting a luggage cart that you could attach your bag and pull it around?

Addy N. said...

Hi hornsofglass! I thought of that, but it was my own ignorance/negligence that caused the problem!

Hi Seeking Solace:
I've thought of that, but it's not really the carrying part that is the problem (I park really close to the building since I"m there so early and have a flight of stairs to go up). I think it's the lifting in and out of the car (or the floor in the house) that is more strenuous. I'm just trying to be extra careful! I thought of splitting things into two bags, so that no single thing is too heavy, but then carrying multiple bags seemed worse.

MommyProf said...

People will tell you to try not to worry, but that is pretty much not going to happen, I know. You have my prayers and my sympathy.

Addy N. said...

Thanks, Mommy/Prof! I really appreciate it.