- tell P that I don't feel comfortable writing a letter for him/her?
- write a letter, but be brutally honest?
- write a letter that says I recommend this student for a PhD (when I don't?)
- write a letter that says anything good I can think of, but isn't glowing?
- some other option that I haven't considered?
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
I want to tell you about Master's student that I am currently advising (we have a small Master's program and no PhD) This student is in his/her 3rd year, so has used up all his/her funding. Let's call this student, P. P is an OK student, but does not seem well-suited for a PhD. Well, P is applying for PhD programs and has listed me as a reference. My dilemma is this, do I: