Thursday, August 24, 2006

10 thing you probably haven't done (that I have)

  1. married someone from a different race
  2. married someone from a different continent (these are the same person & we are still married)
  3. presented my dissertation proposal while 8 months pregnant (& had the baby 8 days later!)
  4. completed my last three PhD courses, written exams, & oral exams during the same semester & while pregnant
  5. have lived in all four U.S. times zones (lower 48)
  6. have been to Alaska twice
  7. have been to the Russian Far East & Siberia (Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, Irkutsk)
  8. was disowned by my father (we haven't spoken in over 7 years)
  9. was in a wedding in Mexico (bridesmaid)
  10. used to fly across the country without an adult (with my younger brother) when we were kids
via luckybuzz

9 comments:

Arbitrista said...

Wow. You're very cool. Take a bow!

Addy N. said...

Thanks, Publius! I'm not sure what was 'cool' on that list, but I appreciate it! Can you guess which other items are linked to #8?

Anonymous said...

It was either a problem with you returning to Alaska for the 2nd time, or the 1st two items on your list???

luckybuzz said...

Wow--3 courses, exams, and pregnancy in the same semester?! Impressive. I cannot even imagine. :)

Addy N. said...

luckybuzz- yeah and #8 happened at the same time! (and my husband got a job offer across the country, etc..) It was a very 'exciting' year. At least everything worked out well! Now- if I could only get tenure!

Seeking Solace said...

OK, I sort of did #1, but I am biracial and married a White guy...does that count?

And I think I have been disowned by my brother.

USJogger said...

You are right. I haven't done a single one of those things.

Addy N. said...

ss: That sucks about your brother. I always feel like it sounds worse about my dad than it really is. My parents have been divorced since I was 6, and I haven't lived in the same state as my dad since 1980, so it's not like he was someone in my daily life. He & I never agreed politically (although I could say the same about my ENTIRE family!) That's also funny about whether you can say you married outside your race (since you have two!)

Jogger: I'm glad that you were not pregnant during your PhD ;) Did you do a list on your blog? I'll have to check!

Chaser said...

We have lots in common.

I have been to Alaska four times; I have lived in all the US time zones, GMT and GMT +2; I attended a LOVELY wedding in Mexico (Mexicans getting married); but have no kidlings.